From Nick <n...@dd.revealed.net>
Subject Re: Solving the import problem
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:29:11 GMT
Barry Pearce wrote:
>> As for user imports in general, I would prefer that everything work in
>> a standard Python way out of the box.  mod_python should be what it is
>> -- an interface to apache.  That's most useful for application and
>> framework developers I think.  Otherwise you could end up breaking
>> other people's applications and frameworks who have resolved the
>> problem in a different way.
>
> agreed....but...optional functionality to stop us having to restart
> apache would be good...and I consider that that is part of
> 'interfacing'. It solves a problem that is inherent in 'interfacing'.

It seems to me that this is expected behaviour when working with persistent
processes in Python, that you have to stop and restart if you've changed
something that got imported.  There are ways the programmer can take care of
this, but there isn't an "auto-reimport" function in Python itself, and
therefore should not be the default behaviour of "import" in mod_python.

Maybe I'm not disagreeing with you here, but I just want to be clear that I
don't think mod_python should install any import hooks.  That would probably
be annoying to seasoned Python programmers, and really a pain in the butt
for me specifically.  Having a module in the mod_python library that allows
you to do that is fine by me, but I don't know the feasibility of having
that ready for a 3.2.0 release.  Patching mod_python manually is starting to
get tedious :)

Nick