From Nick <n...@dd.revealed.net>
Subject Re: glue between apache and python logging
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:05:04 GMT
Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> The strange stuff with sys.modules stuff was to protect against any
> problems that can occur if people decided to take the sample code and
> put it straight in their document tree somewhere where it could be
> reloaded. You'll have to trust me that module reloading can cause some
> nasty and hard to find problems. :-)

Yeah, I know too well the complications of managing imports.  What I was
really referring to though is what you hit on with this:

> As to providing "handler()" this is again because it is a separate  sample
> distinct from mod_python. If a part of mod_python that can all be done
> transparently. I didn't want to provide a sample where people had to
> hack on their mod_python installation to try it.

It seems like there should be a simpler mechanism to be able to use this
code without using a separate, second handler.  That's confusing to the
unitiated.  I guess I like the idea of providing a way for you to intialize
the logging in your handler code rather than relying on another handler to
do it, even though your way makes it somewhat automagic.  I prefer things
being explicit and simply understood rather than a "just set it up that way
to make it work" explanation.

In my world, I'd rather see a call to logging.info, for example, raise an
exception because I didn't tell it what req to use in some sort of
initialization code.  I don't think that's altogether unreasonable to ask of
the user if they want to use the logging module.  Obviously, since my sample
implementation worked that way :)  But just purely my opinion.

Not knocking your code -- I think it accomplishes what you set out to do and
does it well.  I'd just like to see it done in such a way that is more
easily understood by noobs (and subsequently leads to fewer support requests
on the list) :)

Nick