From Mike Looijmans <nlv11...@natlab.research.philips.com>
Subject Re: FieldStorage improvements as in MODPYTHON-93
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 06:45:34 GMT

Mike Looijmans
Philips Natlab / Topic Automation

Jim Gallacher wrote:
> Mike Looijmans wrote:
>> I'm currently using a 'private' patch, but I would really like to see
>> this one incorporated in some release:
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-93
>> The patch is there, all unit tests pass, and I've been torturing it
>> myself for a while now.
>> What else can (must?) I do to get it integrated?
>
> Nothing. It's on my todo list, and if there are no objections I'll
> commit it to trunk.

I'm now very busy doing 'nothing' to get that to happen :-)

> On the other hand, if you want it backported to 3.2.x for a bugfix
> release, you should do a little agitation on this list. ;)

The reason I want it committed is so that I can use file-like objects
(e.g. TarFile) as targets for a file POST. With the current
implementation, anything you return from the make_file callback must be
a real file of type(FileType) otherwise FieldStorage will call 'read' on
it and attempt to fetch the whole file into a string...

>> (I really need the file upload to work decently, and others may like
>> the improved performance)
> Just curious - how much of a performance boost are you seeing?

I never did any measurements - but if I'm bored I'll do some
benchmarks... (as in: lies, damn lies, statistics, delivery dates, and
benchmarks). I don't know what the impact of stuffing things into a
cStringIO object and reading them back as string is...

Mike