From Mike Looijmans <nlv11...@natlab.research.philips.com>
Subject Adding to FieldStorage
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:55:38 GMT
>>>* How are applications supposed to perform write operations on a
>>>FieldStorage, in 3.3 and the future?
>>
>>Since we claim that FieldStorage behaves like a dictionary, the obvious
>>syntax would be:
>>
>>form['mykey'] = 'value'
>>
>>This would require a __setitem__ method which should look something like
>>this (with some extra code to handle lists):
>>
>>    def __setitem__(self, key, value):
>>        if self.dictionary is None:
>>        # Create self.dictionary as in __getitem__
>>        self.dictionary[key] = StringField(value)
>

> Trac also appends to the FieldStorage list attribute, which complicates
> things a little further.
>
> The '93' code also adds the add_field() method. Although this is not
> documented, there is nothing to indicate that it is a private method
> either. Calling add_field on a FieldStorage instance will not likely
> give the results a user expects, so we need to give some attention to
> that as well.

I initially intended add_field as a callback routine, which was later on replaced with the
callback.
The method is not really neccesary, but quite convenient when subclassing. All the processing
takes
place in __init__ which makes it impossible to just replace the method at runtime, which I
had in
mind at first.

I think we should support the dictionary syntax, e.g.

form['key']='value'
assert form['key'] == 'value'

The dict syntax will replace all 'key' fields with the new value. The add_field method can
be
reworked to act as one would expect, e.g.:

assert form['key'] == 'value'
form.add_field('key', 'value2')
assert form['key'] == ['value','value2']
form.add_field('key', 'value1')
assert form['key'] == ['value','value2','value1']

Maybe we can come up with a better name than add_field (append?) as well.