From "Graham Dumpleton" <grah...@dscpl.com.au>
Subject Re: The mod_python wiki has materialized!
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:23:01 GMT
solo turn wrote ..
> why would you use jira/confluence, if there is edgewall trac and
> moinmoin? these two would benefit from mod_python, while
> jira/confluence has nothing to do with it.
>
> -solo

JIRA is the official bug/issue tracking system used by the Apache software
foundation and what is already used by mod_python. It is much better than
Trac for tracking and managing issues. The web address for the current JIRA
site for mod_python is:

  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON

The ASF provides both MoinMoin and Confluence wiki sites for the use of ASF
projects. The important distinction is that the MoinMoin site is open access
with modifications being able to be made by anyone. This is fine for public
contributions to FAQs or sample code, but is no good for any official
mod_python documentation.

The issue is that the policy of the ASF is that any official documentation
which forms a part of the release of a package must only be modifiable by
individuals who have provided to the ASF a signed contributor licence
agreement. Because the MoinMoin wikis run by the ASF are open access, then this
cannot be policed easily. The Confluence wikis on the other hand have a better
permissions regime in place which means that changes can be restricted to just
those who have the rights to modify the documentation.

Confluence is also much better in other respects for managing the official
mod_python documentation. One reason is that it has builtin the ability to
export individual as well as complete sets of pages in the wiki as HTML or PDF.
This makes it easy for us to generate the HTML documentation needed to be
placed on the mod_python web site and also with the mod_python source
code. Performing such an export with MoinMoin is not so simple and
requires third party plugins which are as far as I know not part of the ASF
MoinMoin wiki installations.

So JIRA and Confluence have everything to do with it, because they are
tools already used by the ASF and are also better products than Trac
and MoinMoin as well for what the ASF does, whereby the need to manage
many projects and not just one, and with strict access requirements.

Graham