From "Graham Dumpleton" <grah...@dscpl.com.au>
Subject Re: Status of mod_python 3.3.
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:06:48 GMT
Jim Gallacher wrote ..
> Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> > On JIRA, the following issues are still marked as incomplete for mod_python
> > version 3.3. I have noted my own comments about where they are up to
> and
> > what I think still needs to be done.
> >
> > MODPYTHON-93 Improve util.FieldStorage efficiency.
> >
> > This was actually marked as resolved but reopened because it was discovered
> > that changes meant that Trac <=0.9.6 would no longer work. The changes
> were
> > also backed out of mod_python 3.2.X branch and not released in 3.2.10.
> >
> > At this point I believe we have agreed that code in 3.3 would be left
> as is and
> > people would need to use Trac >=0.10, which has now been release, with
> > mod_python 3.3 or later.
>
> I know we've hashed this over a couple of times, but creating this
> dependency still makes me nervous.

I'll see if I can get a chance to see what the issue is and what it would take
to still support Trac then.

> There are a couple of things that can be cleaned up and marked as closed.
>
> Add get_session() method to request object.
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-59
>
> This idea was pretty much shot down, but there is still a bit of
> residual code that should be cleaned up. I'll do that and mark it as
> closed. I think the idea still has merit, but it would be better to
> start from scratch at some future date.

Agree, code should be taken out and issue revisited at a later time if warranted.

> Although there is no JIRA issue for it, I'd like to see us do a quick
> code cleanup. I see lots of complier warnings about unused variables and
> it would be nice to excise the offending bits of code. I figure we are
> more likely to spot real problems if the compiler is spewing less noise.
> If there are no objections I'll do this over the weekend.

Hmmm, I thought I had gone through and got rid of just about all of them.
The only ones which I didn't fix up were some of the magic Python callbacks
for deleting objects or something.  I couldn't change these as I don't think
some appropriate typedef or something existed in older versions of Python
we still support.

Graham