From Jorey Bump <l...@joreybump.com>
Subject Re: Apache log messages
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:26:43 GMT
Eric: I've CC'd the list with this response in case it proves helpful to
other FreeBSD users. I hope you don't mind.

Eric Brunson wrote:
> Jorey Bump wrote:
>
>> Are you loading the module twice?
>
> Good point, I just checked to make sure it wasn't loading twice, and it
> is a problem on FreeBSD.  The default install procedure (or maybe it's
> just the way I do things, but anyway) puts a python specific boot script
> in /usr/local/etc/apache/Include/python.conf, but the freebsd packages
> edit the LoadModule directives directly into the httpd.conf.  So if you
> install from source, then try to install a ports package later, you end
> up loading the module twice.

I hate it when a module source distribution presumes that it can edit
httpd.conf or insert itself in the loading process automatically. I
understand the desire to be helpful, but I like to control this myself.
PHP does this, so I must backup httpd.conf and restore it afterwards.

AFAIK, mod_python doesn't do this, but I only use it on Linux. Does the
install procedure insert the module for other platforms? We should avoid
this.

FWIW, I like to control all local customizations in a local.conf file
included at the end of httpd.conf, where I selectively include
additional configuration files in the order I want. A similar approach
has been adopted in the default Apache 2.2 installation, and I've been
doing it since 1.3. As it's difficult to predict the scheme used by an
administrator, we should make it a point not to interfere. Of course,
package maintainers will be forced to support any 'enhancements'
developed for the target distribution.