From "Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T" <je...@dundeemt.com>
Subject Re: Apache log messages
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 01:02:04 GMT
On 12/10/06, Eric Brunson <brunson@brunson.com> wrote:
> Jorey Bump wrote:
> > Eric: I've CC'd the list with this response in case it proves helpful
> > to other FreeBSD users. I hope you don't mind.
> >
> > Eric Brunson wrote:

> >> Good point, I just checked to make sure it wasn't loading twice, and it
> >> is a problem on FreeBSD.  The default install procedure (or maybe it's
> >> just the way I do things, but anyway) puts a python specific boot script
> >> in /usr/local/etc/apache/Include/python.conf, but the freebsd packages
> >> edit the LoadModule directives directly into the httpd.conf.  So if you
> >> install from source, then try to install a ports package later, you end
> >> up loading the module twice.
> >
> > I hate it when a module source distribution presumes that it can edit
> > httpd.conf or insert itself in the loading process automatically. I
> > understand the desire to be helpful, but I like to control this
> > myself. PHP does this, so I must backup httpd.conf and restore it
> > afterwards.
> >
> > AFAIK, mod_python doesn't do this, but I only use it on Linux. Does
> > the install procedure insert the module for other platforms? We should
> > avoid this.
>
> The edits are done by the FreeBSD ports package when you install their
> binary build of mod_python, not the mod_python installation itself.
>

> > FWIW, I like to control all local customizations in a local.conf file
> > included at the end of httpd.conf, where I selectively include
> > additional configuration files in the order I want. A similar approach
> > has been adopted in the default Apache 2.2 installation, and I've been
> > doing it since 1.3. As it's difficult to predict the scheme used by an
> > administrator, we should make it a point not to interfere. Of course,
> > package maintainers will be forced to support any 'enhancements'
> > developed for the target distribution.

If you are running a server on FreeBSD, ports are your friend.  Don't
use packages, imho, they are preconfigured and work best for desktop
type installs not servers.  If you haven't already -- man portsnap and
the portupgrade/install utilities.  (I only install mod_python from
source for testing the beta and reporting and that is on a dev machine
)  I'm cutting this short here as this is a FreeBSD thing and not a
specific mp issue.  Checkout the mailing lists and the manuals are
your best friend (best docs around)
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

--
Jeff Hinrichs