ranger-dev mailing list archives

From Balaji Ganesan <bgane...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Changing Argus name
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2014 23:20:25 GMT
We should move forward with Apache Ranger as the potential replacement name. 6+ for Ranger
(including my vote)

On Sep 11, 2014, at 5:19 PM, Balaji Ganesan <bganesan@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> In general, I feel that the name should be simple and recognizable for anyone. Apache
projects are going to grow, and it becomes difficult for enterprise user community to remember
unique names unless they are constantly using it. For Security, the relation to “Ranger”
would be more natural, imo, than a fictional name based on a movie.

> Google search results give a lot of results for common words, agreed on that. Existing
Apache projects are based on common terms and have big hits on Google, Spark (~66m urls),
ACE (~58m urls), Ant (~32m urls). The question I have is whether if the name creates confusion
for user with a similar open source or software project. With Ranger I did not see any, but
would welcome feedback on its viability..

> -Balaji
>

> On Sep 11, 2014, at 10:47 AM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I like Ranger as a name, but I'd prefer a more unique name (google shows
>> ~200m urls). For comparison, "hadoop" has ~28m urls, "mahout" has 0.6m
>> urls, and "armadillo" has ~21.5m urls.
>>
>> .. Owen
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Don Bosco Durai <bosco@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Apache Ranger sounds good.

>>> management

>>> Armadillo

>>> Secure

>>> processors

>>> entity
>>> reader

>>> that
>>> immediately
>>>>

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE