ranger-dev mailing list archives

From Ramesh Mani <rm...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Changing Argus name
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2014 01:45:08 GMT
+1 for 'Apache RangerĀ¹.

On Sep 8, 2014, at 7:16 PM, Balaji Ganesan <bganesan@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> I would propose 2 names, Apache Ranger or Apache Armadillo, to replace the current Argus
name in the incubator.

> Ranger signifies a person enforcing or protecting a resource ("park ranger") which was
the original intent of the current Argus project. Armadillo is a mammal specific with tough
shell or an "armor" to protect.

> Here are some preliminary search results for "Ranger"
>
> Github (133 results)
> https://github.com/hut/ranger - A vim-inspired filemanager for the console
> https://github.com/Indatus/ranger - API Base Controller
> https://github.com/benplum/Ranger - JQuery Plugin
>

> SourceForge.Net
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/jarranger/?source=directory - Class name explorer for
.Jar files
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/anids/?source=directory -A multi-purpose ultrafast peak
caller for ChIP Seq data

> Openhub.net
> http://ranger.nongnu.org/ - ranger is a file manager with VI key bindings
> https://www.openhub.net/p/ranger-ims - Incident Management System
>

> Preliminary google search
> http://www.sbullet.com/ - Check scanner software API
> https://www.rangersst.com/ - Towing software
> http://www.rangerdata.com/ - Lead generation and call center management
> http://www.rm.com/shops/ranger/Default.aspx - Education Software
>

> Here are some preliminary search results for "Armadillo"
>
> Github (133 results)
> https://github.com/Snugug/generator-armadillo - Static Generator for Yeoman
> https://github.com/RcppCore/RcppArmadilloRcpp integration for Armadillo templated linear
algebra library
> https://github.com/SebastianNiemann/ArmadilloJava - Pure Java-based linear algebra library
>
> SourceForge.Net
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/arma/?source=directory - C++ Library
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/armadillophp/?source=directory - Secure MySQL Database
PHP Framework
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/armadillo/?source=directory - Linux kernel 2.6.16 patch
for support for i.MX21 processor from Freescale

> Google Search
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/arma/ - C++ Library
> http://the-armadillo-software-protection-system.software.informer.com/ - Computer Software
Protection

> Openhub.net
> https://www.openhub.net/p/arma - Armadillo C++ library
> https://www.openhub.net/p/armadillo-linux - Linux BSP for ARM processors
> https://www.openhub.net/p/generator-armadillo - Static Generator for Yeoman
>
> Conclusion  - Both Ranger and Armadillo are good names, however Ranger does seem to have
a lower conflict as compared to Armadillo.  If everyone is ok, we can forward this to the
Apache brand management.

> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Balaji Ganesan <bganesan@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Based on feedback from Apache brand management, as well as discussions in the name search
JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-54, I feel that the Argus name
will continue to carry concerns from the community in the long run.

> I propose that the Argus name be changed to some name more unique, will send couple of
options that I had in mind in another email.

> Please let me know your thoughts
>
> Balaji
>

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE