ranger-dev mailing list archives

From Gautam Borad <gbo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about Ranger architecture
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2015 12:21:06 GMT
Hi Hellmar,
    Good to know that you are planning to use Ranger. Please find my
answers inline.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Hellmar Becker <becker@hellmar-becker.de>
wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> We are planning to use Ranger to secure our (Hortonworks based) datalake
> at ING Bank. In this context, a few questions came up:
>
> - I read that Ranger deploys plugins to the HDFS, Hive, and HBase services
> that implement access control. Do these plugins run as separate processes
> or more like dynamic libraries inside the main service?

These plugins run as part of the component (namenode, master, etc)
processes. There is no separate process that is run.

> - What happens if one of the plugins goes down or becomes unavailable?
> Will the services then be unsecured, or closed to all, or even unable to
> run?

As mentioned above, since after installation the plugins are part of the
actual process, there is no scenario where the "plugins" will go down.

> Kind regards,
> Hellmar Becker

> Hellmar Becker
> Edmond Audranstraat 55