rave-dev mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next Steps
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:20:24 GMT
Scott,

I assume Franklin referred mostly to the shared services offered by asf-infra. Yes, we can
and should use them.

In terms of coding practices, depending on how you define that, there are actually strictly
enforced coding practices. For instance non trivial changes, design aspects, etc. should be
discussed on the mailing list first. However I believe you were referring to the code style,
which is up to the pmc/developers, the ASF does not enforce anything in that area, you are
correct.

Just a minor clarification,
Hadrian

On Mar 25, 2011, at 11:07 AM, Scott Wilson wrote:

> On 25 Mar 2011, at 14:48, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
>> It looks like accounts for us new committers are being created.  As we
>> prepare to commit the donated code bases, I thought it would be good to
>> lay out some of the next steps.  The last few weeks seem to have been busy
>> for everyone, and we haven't had many discussions regarding what we need
>> to do to get Rave moving forward.  The following is a list of things I
>> think we need to accomplish in the near term.  The list is by no means
>> comprehensive and there is probably a better place for it to live, but it
>> is intended to spark discussion.
>
> Looks like a good start - thanks for starting the ball rolling!
>
>> 1. Commit donated code bases
>> 2. Finish public website on CMS (think Ross started this?)
>> 3. Lay out wiki structure and port relevant portions to Apache wiki (think
>> Ate started this?)
>> 4. Discuss working agreements for coding practices, quality, unit testing,
>> coverage, CI, sandbox environments, etc (Some of this is probably standard
>> Apache practice)
>
> I don't think there is such a thing as a standard Apache coding practice :-)
>
>> 5. Analyze initial feature list from proposal and review donated feature
>> sets
>> 6. Discuss high level architecture and agree on basic design
>> 7. Agree on process for "cherry picking" features and integrating them
>> into the Rave code base
>
> Well, we can pick things we want to work on and mail the list to say we're doing it,
but beyond that I don't think we can have that much of a process - anyone can implement any
features they want and submit patches for them, its up to committers whether to commit them.