rave-dev mailing list archives

From Marlon Pierce <mpie...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: Next Steps
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:37:17 GMT

I think we have a critical initial work regarding #5/#6 below.  Surfnet and Mitre codes are
both using SpringMVC as a general framework.  We at IU are not, but after reviewing both of
the other code bases, we think it is the way to go and will be happy to adopt it and add to
it.

I think then we have the following options.  At this time, I don't have a preference.

* Option 1: Start completely from scratch with a new project layout.

* Option 2: Adopt either the Surfnet or Mitre code donations as our starting point.

* Option 3: Merge the core elements of Surfnet and Mitre approaches to create a new skeleton.

How should we proceed in choosing between these options? I have not considered the amount
of work or feasibility to do any of these.  This is just to get the discussion going.

Marlon

On 3/25/11 12:29 PM, Carlucci, Tony wrote:
> +3 on the MITRE side for Spring MVC!
>
> ---
> Anthony Carlucci | SW App Dev Eng, Sr. | R501 / KW App Development & Maint
> e: acarlucci@mitre.org | v: 781.271.2432 | f: 781.271.3299
> The MITRE Corporation | 202 Burlington Rd | Bedford, MA 01730-1420

>>> 2. Finish public website on CMS (think Ross started this?)
>>> 3. Lay out wiki structure and port relevant portions to Apache wiki (think
>>> Ate started this?)
>>> 4. Discuss working agreements for coding practices, quality, unit testing,
>>> coverage, CI, sandbox environments, etc (Some of this is probably standard
>>> Apache practice)
>
>> I don't think there is such a thing as a standard Apache coding practice :-)
>
>>> 5. Analyze initial feature list from proposal and review donated feature
>>> sets
>>> 6. Discuss high level architecture and agree on basic design
>>> 7. Agree on process for "cherry picking" features and integrating them
>>> into the Rave code base
>
>> Well, we can pick things we want to work on and mail the list to say we're doing
it, but beyond that I don't think we can have that much of a process - anyone can implement
any features they want and submit patches for them, its up to committers whether to commit
them.