rave-dev mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: First Release
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 23:58:56 GMT
On 06/10/2011 10:23 PM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
> On 6/1/11 10:43 AM, "Franklin, Matthew B."<mfranklin@mitre.org>  wrote:
>
>> I have created JIRA issues for all of the tasks that Ate laid out that
>> were assignable.  The remaining (see below) are community discussions that
>> need to take place:
>>
>>   * Discuss and decide what to release, e.g. just a source or also a
>> binary (demo)?
>
> Based on our discussions, the plan seems to be produce a source and a demo
> release (via cargo:package for demo).  I am going to add a Jira task and
> assign it to Ate for the cargo, since he volunteered to look into it :).
Thanks, I'll pick it up ASAP (after the weekend)!

>>   * Appoint a release manager
>
> This is still an outstanding item.  If no one else is going to volunteer,
> I will; however, I am new to Apache, so I will need the mentors to help
> make sure I do everything correctly.  I will also take the release guide
> task.
I'll be there to help you where needed, I think its great you stepping up and
volunteering. Big +1

>> We also have two issues still in progress:
>>
>>   * Delete Widgets
>>
>>   * User Prefs
>
> The final feature list is in JIRA under 0.1.  There are plenty of release
> tasks, including updating the site and writing comms that can be taken by
> others in the community.
I'd try to help out as much as I can.

The one thing I consider a task which should be done by the release manager,
although not absolutely required, is sending out the release communications
(RAVE-52). Its about "credit where credit is due" and as the release manager you
should take the honour of sending such messages out.

Only "downside" of doing it you should be aware of: you can temporarily expect
*much* more spam targeted at you thereafter ;) (no kidding)

Ate

>> I would like to set a deadline of Friday for issue completion, assuming
>> the community agrees.  If the issues are not completed by then, we can add
>> javascript that alerts that the feature is not implemented and return
>> statements so that we don't have to roll back any code.
>>
>> This deadline will allow us to complete release tasks next week so that we
>> can hit the 15th release date.
>>
>> -Matt

>>> For instance:
>>>    http://markmail.org/message/7dfxwgryq7hp334l