rave-dev mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: Need some apache+maven advise Re: First Release
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 22:37:29 GMT
Hi all,

I'm currently at the BerlinBuzzWords conference with an internet
connection at my hotel so bad I barely manage to read email through
webmail, nevermind trying to run svn up...
However I'll try to get in sync tomorrow while at the conference and
see if I can come up with an easy solution for a binary/demo package
build.
AFAIK this should be relatively easy to automate using cargo:package,
possibly combined with a maven assembly configuration.

More comments below.

Regards,

Ate

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Marlon Pierce <mpierce@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

> Definitely questions for Ate or another mentor/champion.
>

> Marlon
>

> On 6/6/11 2:50 PM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
>>
>> On 6/1/11 2:36 PM, "Marlon Pierce" <mpierce@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I don't have strong opinions on source versus binary releases at this
>> point, but I am wondering how they work.  For a source release, would we
>> bundle up a tar/zip and put it on an Apache mirror or just tag it in SVN?
>> For a binary release, would we just put up a WAR or would we package
>> tomcat+rave+shindig-snapshot?  What other steps are required/recommended
>> (zip/md5/pgp)?
>>
>>> I like the idea of packaging tomcat with the two war files so that you can
>>> just execute the tomcat start script.  If we think this is a good idea,
>>> can we wire this into a maven goal like release?  Could we also add
>>> anything required to push the release to the correct location on
>>> people.apache.org?  The more we can automate the better.  It would be nice
>>> to have a release guide that said something like:
>>
>>> 1) checkout the source
>>> 2) execute mvn stage
>>> 3) vote
>>> 4) execute mvn release

I doesn't work exactly like the above, for one: mvn release will
deploy the artifacts to a temporary *staging* repository, which we
then vote upon.
In addition, if we produce a binary/demo artifact it probably won't be
(easily) also be "released" to a maven repository (nor should it be
IMO), so we should provide it as a separate download on a temporarily
(informal) location, e.g. somewhere on people.apache.org.

Once the vote is accepted (both by the Rave PMC and thereafter by the
IPMC), we thereafter only need to "publish" the (Nexus) staging
repository which then will be pushed/merged towards Maven central.
Furthermore we then can/have to manually move the binary/demo download
to the official incubator dist download area, send out the
announcement and be done.

If however the release is voted down, the staging repository will have
to be "dropped" and the temporary binary/demo download removed, and we
have to start working towards a fixed and acceptable 0.2 release (the
0.1 version no longer can be "reused" once tagged and produced).

>>> :)
>>

>> Having said that, I favor going through the full release steps for both
>> the binary and source.  This is early but it will make sure we understand
>> the process when things are further along.
>>
>>> What about javadoc?
What about it?
I assume you mean producing -javadoc jars which can then be
loaded/used from an IDE?
Or would you like to have the javadoc published online?

For the -javadoc jar generation, please be aware we currently are only
building .war files, so AFAIK IDE's won't see/use these as proper
"jar" dependencies for which to load/download related -javadoc jars.
And, I think the -javadoc generation for war projects, although done
automatically, actually is kind of screwed up (but I need to check
again with the latest maven plugins).

Publishing the javadoc online is not something I'm familiar with yet
how to integrate and do with the new Apache CMS, but probably doable.
I'd expect someone simply has to check in the generated javadoc in the
proper format and location?

>> Marlon

already is very
the details :)