rave-dev mailing list archives

From "Franklin, Matthew B." <mfrank...@mitre.org>
Subject Re: Thoughts about the (demo) HTML
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 16:29:16 GMT
On 6/2/11 11:32 AM, "Jasha Joachimsthal" <j.joachimsthal@onehippo.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>the development is now speeding up. I checked the portal yesterday and a
>lot
>of basic functionality is already there. :)
>I also had a look at the HTML of the demo 'portal' and got a few remarks:
>- why not start using HTML5 in such a new project?

+1

>- calls to jquery libraries are now always over https even if the portal
>runs in http. With a simple change in the src the browser will choose the
>protocol that matches the portal's
>I'll submit a patch for these issues (the changes weren't that big).

Copy/paste of Google's jquery instance on their CDN as was listed on their
site

>Then a lot of the Javascript is inline and external calls are sometimes at
>the top of the page. This will slow down the rendering because browsers
>interpret Javascript immediately when they find the <script> tag. It was
>already noticed in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAVE-41

Scripts should be at the bottom of the page. Not sure how they got moved.
In terms of inline JS, the only thing that should be inline is the
rendered widget representation.  This strategy allows for the rendering
engine to output any HTML representation of the widget as it is rendered,
thus supporting multiple render styles (including inlined widgets).  If
there is a better strategy that someone can think of, I am all for
improvements :).  Other than that and some init calls, there *shouldn't*
be any inline JS.