rave-dev mailing list archives

From Marlon Pierce <marpi...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: Rave 1.0 Roadmap
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 19:42:22 GMT

Those are important questions.

Marlon

On 7/24/12 3:31 PM, Raminderjeet Singh wrote:
> I did a Rave Tutorial for Science Gateways in XSEDE 12 conference[4] last week and my
presentation is here [5].

> Interesting questions i came across about Rave/Open Social were:
>
> What is the future of Gadgets/Widgets?
> Why Rave vs other portal frameworks like drupal or django?
> Why we are dealing with  local OpenSocial data?
> Can i use OpenSocial data from other providers like Facebook and Google+ and create a
relationship with rave user object?
> How much difficult is to integrate Rave with such open social data providers? Anything
planned? (My comment here was to join us doing that)

> We need to address some of these questions for Rave 1.0 mainly by documenting them on
Wiki or website.

> On Jul 24, 2012, at 10:15 AM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
>

>> On 7/20/12 9:26 PM, "Chris Geer" <chris@cxtsoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Over on the OpenSocial Google group I came across this note [1] talking
>>> about OpenSocial 3.0. There was a link about "Community changes required
>>> prior to OpenSocial 3.0" [2]. The point that interested me the most was
>>> Rave 1.0 is a goal prior to OpenSocial 3.0. I agree that is probably the
>>> right step but that means we probably need to renew the conversation about
>>> what does Rave 1.0 mean? Right now our roadmap is pretty bare [3].
>>
>> OpenSocial 3.0 is being deferred until we have fixed some of the major
>> issues with branding and engagement.  I agree we need to complete the
>> discussion of the Roadmap.
> +1 to fix some of the required open social features. That is one of the strength and
i need to finish Activity stream.

>>> Matt, did you guys discuss any specifics at the get together this week
>>> about what Rave 1.0 should include?
>>

>> The OpenSocial president has been referring to Rave as the OpenSocial
>> reference implementation and Shindig as the Reference Framework.  It is
>> the foundation's goal to help get Rave to the full compliance state;
>> however, I think that is only a small part of our 1.0 roadmap.  The
>> biggest stuff in the way is solidifying the object model, integrating
>> content services, working on making the UI truly extensible, driving more
>> configuration from a repository, etc.  Pretty much most of the major
>> Architecture topics that Ate posted about a while ago.
> Yes extendibility is the key feature we at Indiana University are looking for to build
science portal using Rave. One of the prototype implementations i did for a project was to
use Rave as identity provider [6]. I was successful to make it work after changing the User
object in rave-core but not as a extension. It may be because of my limited knowledge about
Spring but the point is to Document such extensions for Rave user to get them started.I am
sure all the groups are working on such extensions but we need to share the knowledge.

>>> Chris
>>>

>>> [1]
>>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/opensocial-and-gadgets-spec/5RQghj4L
>>> Jv8/qv9-SgsDOS0J