rave-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Customize RAVE towards generic IWC
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2012 14:22:07 GMT
On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 3:06 AM, Christian Fischer
<c.fischer@cs-hertwig.de>wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> thanks for the reply :)

>>>  Thanks for your interest in Rave. We are always looking for new ways to
>> utilize the Rave platform and hope you can share your work with the
>> community as you go.
>>
> Shure, if i get all up and running nicely it would be great to contribute
> my things to the RAVE Project!
> Is there a Forum for discussions or only the Mailing List with the Archive?

Just a mailing list. We've talked about setting up and IRC chat but forums
probably aren't in the plan.

>>>  It is very easy to include custom code in the container (page). All you
>> really need to do is customize the custom_js.tag file and point to your
>> custom javascript. This will allow access to that script from the page. As
>> for injecting code into the widget, I'm not sure the best way to do that
>> with Wookie. With OpenSocial gadgets, you could have a custom feature and
>> reference it from your gadgets.
>>
> Thanks for the hint - this helps me really. At the time, the RAVE-Code
> just looks to me a bit confusing. But it will be clearer when i working
> with it a while.

To simplify things, you should be able to focus on two parts of the code.
Rave-portal-resources holds all the javascript stuff. It's also where the
tags are to inject the custom container code. Based on what you are talking
about doing it doesn't sounds like you'd have to modify any of the Java
backend (at least if I'm understanding correctly). You probably also want
to take a look at the rave-providers -> rave-w3c-provider project as that
contains the Wookie code for Rave. There is a class called
W3cWidgetRenderer that looks like it might be able to inject code into the
widget. You might try playing with that.