rave-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Customize RAVE towards generic IWC
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2012 19:15:46 GMT
On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Christian Fischer <flyinghuman@web.de>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i would like to get familar with the RAVE-Development because i will use
> it for my master-thesis.
> I'll need to extend RAVE for implementing an Inter-Widget-Communication
> (IWC) Helper.
> That means, i will implement a Training Environment for Widgets which
> doesn't Support IWC originally.
> -> Widgets without IWC schould after the Training support the IWC with
> other Widgets.
> (Only during the User-Session. Original Widget should NOT be modified.)

Thanks for your interest in Rave. We are always looking for new ways to
utilize the Rave platform and hope you can share your work with the
community as you go.

> For that, i MUST inject some JavaScript Code into each Widget and the
> Portal-Page everytime when RAVE loads a Widget from the Wookie-Widget-Store
> or from antother Store (Wookie is first enough).
> We have successfully implemented a testing Environment in Apache Wookie by
> injecting some JS-Code.
> Now, i want to Integrate a IWC-Training-Environment in RAVE for Mashups.

> -> Is it generally possible to inject Code into widgets each time widgets
> gets Displayed?

It is very easy to include custom code in the container (page). All you
really need to do is customize the custom_js.tag file and point to your
custom javascript. This will allow access to that script from the page. As
for injecting code into the widget, I'm not sure the best way to do that
with Wookie. With OpenSocial gadgets, you could have a custom feature and
reference it from your gadgets.

> -> Where must i start to get my Custom Code to get Loaded by RAVE each
> Time widgets gets Displayed?
> -> Where is my entrypoint to get famililar with the RAVE-Source Code?
> (Already followed the instructions on the Webpage, Eclipse is ready to run
> with RAVE).
>
> The Basic Idea is to send Events from the Widgets over OpenAjax pubsub to
> the portal-Page and implement a Training Environment storing the learned
> Events and Destinations in RAVE's Database according to the logged-in user.

As a general note, Rave already supports OpenAjaxHub for IWC. Again, I'm
not horribly familiar with the W3C widgets (Wookie) but on the OpenSocial
side all you have to do is include the pubsub2 feature in your gadgets and
pub/sub works like a champ. I suspect you can already do it from the Wookie
side as well but someone else will have to confirm.

Chris