rave-dev mailing list archives

From René Peinl <rene.pe...@hof-university.de>
Subject AW: Allowing users to add widgets without page refresh
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:21:12 GMT
Hi everybody,
couldn't you establish a new JSP page that renders only one widget on the
server-side and then insert the result into the existing page using AJAX on
the client-side?
The only problem could be the page context, that might play a role for the
widget and would not be available be default in this solution.
Regards
René

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Franklin, Matthew B. [mailto:mfranklin@mitre.org]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 2. August 2012 13:48
An: dev@rave.apache.org; rave-dev@incubator.apache.org
Betreff: RE: Allowing users to add widgets without page refresh

For what it is worth, IMO this is 2 calls.  One to the API endpoint that
already exists and another to a new rave function that does the rendering.
I don't think that the api js namespace should be involved in rendering.

>I've looked into the requirements for this, and what I'm currently
>stuck against is the use of JSP tags to render the widget "chrome";
>this isn't accessible from the client side so its not really possible
>at the moment to add a widget to the page without a page refresh.
>
>One possibility is to move the region_widget.tag code into client-side
>JS templating. However, there is then an issue with localization.
>Alternatively, the logic could be moved from a JSP tag into a Java class
and executed via RPC.
>However, that will make for some really messy code.
>
>Can anyone think of any better solutions for this?

I think that the best approach might be to generate a client side template
for  a widget using the JSP tags.  This might take some tweaking of the
existing template, but would allow you to make one more call to the tags to
render out a hidden template that can be used to render new gadgets.