rave-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Allowing users to add widgets without page refresh
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 11:54:17 GMT
On 2 Aug 2012, at 13:47, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:

> [...]
and another to a new rave function that does the rendering.  I don't think that the api js
namespace should be involved in rendering.

That makes sense.

>> I've looked into the requirements for this, and what I'm currently stuck against
>> is the use of JSP tags to render the widget "chrome"; this isn't accessible from
>> the client side so its not really possible at the moment to add a widget to the
>> page without a page refresh.
>>
>> One possibility is to move the region_widget.tag code into client-side JS
>> templating. However, there is then an issue with localization. Alternatively,
>> the logic could be moved from a JSP tag into a Java class and executed via RPC.
>> However, that will make for some really messy code.
>>
>> Can anyone think of any better solutions for this?
>
> I think that the best approach might be to generate a client side template for  a widget
using the JSP tags.  This might take some tweaking of the existing template, but would allow
you to make one more call to the tags to render out a hidden template that can be used to
render new gadgets.

Thats a good suggestion, I'll give it a go - thanks!