rave-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>
Subject [Proposal] Spring Permissions Change
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 23:50:23 GMT
I would like to propose we change how the spring permission checks work
slightly. Right now the "Permission" value (i.e. Create, Update...) is
defined as part of a enum named Permission defined in
the org.apache.rave.portal.security.ModelPermissionEvaluator interface. The
various hasPermissions methods take an instance of that Permission enum
(created from a string on the check permission annotation). Having the
permissions defined in an enumeration limits what we are able to check
permissions for in my opinion. Right now we have two choices, 1) limit our
permission checks to the list there is now, 2) add new permissions to the
generic Permissions enum which could lead to a bunch of permissions stored
on a generic enum that aren't really reusable (i.e. Widget -> add_comment
permission). I would like to propose we change the way we define
permissions to remove the enum and just pass along the string defined in
the annotations. The only real downside of that is that we can't use a
switch/case statement during permissions checks unless we use Java7.

Thoughts/concerns?

Thanks,
Chris