rave-dev mailing list archives

From Jasha Joachimsthal <ja...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Archetype for custom Rave project
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:15:35 GMT
On 30 December 2012 14:47, Matt Franklin <m.ben.franklin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Chris Geer <chris@cxtsoftware.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday, December 29, 2012, Jasha Joachimsthal wrote:
> >
> >> As example of how to customise a Rave project we have the
> >> rave-vanilla-extension in the sandbox. This project is not always up to
> >> date and if you export it from svn as starting point, you get
> >> org.apache.rave as groupid and package prefix. I generated a Maven
> >> Archetype [1] that creates a similar structure but with your own
> groupid,
> >> artifactid and package name.
> >> You can try it out by checking out the archetype from [2], build the
> >> archetype and then
> >>  mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeCatalog=local
> >>
> >> This is still not an ideal situation. The archetype can be just as
> outdated
> >> as the current vanilla extension and now you also need to build the
> >> archetype to create a new custom project. It would be better if it
> became a
> >> module inside the main project and during build it should generate a
> custom
> >> project from the archetype. Then it will also be a part of the release
> and
> >> the archetype becomes available without checking it out.
> >> Is this possible and do we want the archetype in its current form inside
> >> the main project?
> >

> > +1 this is a great idea and a great improvement.
>
> Agreed.  I am not very knowledgeable about archetypes in maven, but
> definitely seems like the right way to go

Just committed the generation of a project during the build of the
archetype.
Next step would be the integration into the main project. The "vanilla
extension" contains a project structure with a custom portal and Shindig.
The portal has no LDAP integration and has a custom user service. The
custom Shindig is nothing but an example how to overlay the rave-shindig
war. Shall we keep this for the archetype and change the behaviour if this
turns out to be unhandy?