rave-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>
Subject Re: ROLE IWC for Rave
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 17:23:43 GMT
On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Andreas Guth
<andreas.guth@rwth-aachen.de>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a developer for the ROLE project [0]. In the project we also use
> OpenSocial widgets and a fair amount of Rave code and have created a
> system that makes inter-widget-communication work over multiple
> machines that we'd (finally) like to contribute to the Rave project,
> in particular referring to Rave Epic 25 [1].
>
> Dominik Renzel and Sten Govaerts presented and demoed ROLE
> Inter-widget Communication as it is realized in the project's
> prototype of a widget based personal learning environment during last
> year's Apache Rave Hackathon in Utrecht and were encouraged to move
> forward in developing a respective patch. Their slidedeck ([2];
> starting from slide 6; slide 14 containing a set of links pointing to
> further materials, code samples, demos, etc.) gives an overview of we
> did it in ROLE and how developers could use a respective widget API
> (notice that this is not restricted to OpenSocial). We hope this is
> still of interest for Rave, since I am currently preparing such a
> patch.
>

> I already looked through the source and began to port some of our code
> but I may need some pointers as to where the IWC code should ideally
> go because it looked like most (all?) of your IWC Code is in the
> Clients Javascript code.
>
> So, what I would like to add to Rave is:
>
> 1. a class that manages the XMPP Server. It would basically make sure
> that a pubsub-node is created for every Page and a new JID is created
> for every User. I chose to implement this as an IWCService Interface
> with a DefaultIWCService alongside the other Service and
> DefaultService classes that will handle the XMPP Server but I'm not
> sure if there might be a better place for this.

Will there be a way to enable this on a page by page basis? For example,
only be done on pages that include a widget that needs this pubsub?

> 2. make rave create a pubsub-node for each new Page and a JID (+
> password) for each new user. I'm not sure where and at what time this
> should be done as there are many classes that work with Pages and
> Users. My best guess would currently be the "DefaultUserService" and
> "DefaultPageService" classes. These would in turn use the IWCService
> to do their work.

Is this intended to replace the current pubsub (between widgets) or work
with the current pubsub to extend it over multiple containers?