rave-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Guth <andreas.g...@rwth-aachen.de>
Subject ROLE IWC for Rave
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 04:34:30 GMT
Hi,

I'm a developer for the ROLE project [0]. In the project we also use
OpenSocial widgets and a fair amount of Rave code and have created a
system that makes inter-widget-communication work over multiple
machines that we'd (finally) like to contribute to the Rave project,
in particular referring to Rave Epic 25 [1].

Dominik Renzel and Sten Govaerts presented and demoed ROLE
Inter-widget Communication as it is realized in the project's
prototype of a widget based personal learning environment during last
year's Apache Rave Hackathon in Utrecht and were encouraged to move
forward in developing a respective patch. Their slidedeck ([2];
starting from slide 6; slide 14 containing a set of links pointing to
further materials, code samples, demos, etc.) gives an overview of we
did it in ROLE and how developers could use a respective widget API
(notice that this is not restricted to OpenSocial). We hope this is
still of interest for Rave, since I am currently preparing such a
patch.

I already looked through the source and began to port some of our code
but I may need some pointers as to where the IWC code should ideally
go because it looked like most (all?) of your IWC Code is in the
Clients Javascript code.

So, what I would like to add to Rave is:

1. a class that manages the XMPP Server. It would basically make sure
that a pubsub-node is created for every Page and a new JID is created
for every User. I chose to implement this as an IWCService Interface
with a DefaultIWCService alongside the other Service and
DefaultService classes that will handle the XMPP Server but I'm not
sure if there might be a better place for this.

2. make rave create a pubsub-node for each new Page and a JID (+
password) for each new user. I'm not sure where and at what time this
should be done as there are many classes that work with Pages and
Users. My best guess would currently be the "DefaultUserService" and
"DefaultPageService" classes. These would in turn use the IWCService
to do their work.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Andreas