rave-dev mailing list archives

From Erin Noe-Payne <erin.noe.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Moving rave portal to angularjs
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2013 20:18:21 GMT
Hi All - this discussion was started as a Jira ticket. I'm moving to the
dev list per Chris's request.

With RAVE-914 we now have the rave core functionality isolated from the
portal. This allows us to refactor the portal application and write it as a
reference implementation on top of the rave core with the following goals:
- Support generic data contexts for pages - portal, profile, portfolio or
whatever else. No more hard coded portal page vs profile page.
- Allow implementers to extend the portal application with less reliance on
overlays.
- Move away from jsps or other heavy-lifting view rendering logic from the
server.

I'm proposing to use angularjs (http://angularjs.org/) as a client side mvc
framework. This would be in place of previous efforts to implement the
portal using backbonejs and handlebars. Basic roadmap:
- Move away from jsp's, either moving to a lighter-weight rendering
framework or consider serving only raw html with no rendering framework on
the server at all.
- Rewrite / update portal's views as angularjs compatible markup.
- Write the portal js as an angularjs application that interacts with the
rave core.
- Use the new rest apis to serve data for client side navigation and
partial view loads.
- Allow implementers to extend rave portaljs for custom functionality
without overlaying, allow them to add views for new custom contexts without
requiring overlays.