rave-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Moving rave portal to angularjs
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2013 21:23:39 GMT
On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Erin Noe-Payne <erin.noe.payne@gmail.com>wrote:

> Addressing Chris's comments from that discussion -
>
> 1) Does it make sense that we do something like this as a sandbox
> effort/branch and flip the switch in the future?
>     In terms of branching, I can go either way. As an angular app it
> is only looking to serve html, so we can easily build out the angular
> app along a different set of url paths than the current portal much as
> we are doing with the rest apis. It may be weird to deliver that
> incomplete content as part of the trunk though.

+1 for branch. I concur with Matt that this won't be 100% by 0.22 (web
services might not be there by then) so we should isolate.  Even if it is
ready...I think we should bake it fully before rip/replace. (wouldn't it be
nice if we had a git repo? :)  If we do this in a branch there is very
little reason not to move forward since we don't have to decide if it's a
replacement or not until it's complete.

We probably want to post a warning on the 0.21 (and future) release(s)
stating that the Backbone/handlars code will be going away in the future so
to use at risk.

> 2) The other big question is what happens to the Backbone stuff that
> was just added?
>     If we go the route of using angular I will end up backing out
> backbone and handlebars and pass control of all state management &
> client side templating over to angular.

I guess I'm less concerned about this now after looking more closely at the
code we currently have. I was under the impression that the Backbone model
was going to part of the core, not part of the portal, and it could be used
by various portal implementations. Since it's not, there is less of a
chance of people being dependent on it.