rave-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Franklin <m.ben.frank...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Rave & Angular strategy
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2013 21:46:34 GMT
On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Chris Geer <chris@cxtsoftware.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Chris Geer <chris@cxtsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Erin Noe-Payne <erin.noe.payne@gmail.com
> >wrote:

> >> erin.noe.payne@gmail.com

> branch
> more
> out
> try
> >> paradigm.

> that

> >> robust
> >> think we
> >> as

> >> the
> you
> >> >

> >> To be honest I'm not super familiar with what the current security
> >> model looks like. But from the perspective of writing angular
> >> applications that consume the api, my expectations would be:
> >>
> >> - I have restful endpoints to login and logout
> >> - Every request I make against the api will correctly return 401 or
> >> 403 status codes if there is any authentication problem.
> >> - My app can then intercept these codes and properly redirect the UI
> >> to login page / not authorized warning.
> >>

> > Erin, yes, from the UI perspective that is a pretty good viewpoint. From
> > the server perspective though there is some more thought that is needed.
> > For example, should every user on system be able to get all the
> attributes
> > about every person? Should a friend be able to see more details than
> > another random person? The server needs to be able to have a model where
> > decisions can be made on more than just is this person a normal user or
> an
> > admin. The UI also needs to be able to handle that as well. For example,
> is
> > you aren't frieds with someone certain fields may come back as null. Not
> > huge deal but a consideration.
> >
> > The reason security is so important on the server side is once you move
> > the UI to the client side you can no longer trust the client side because
> > there is no guarantee that the request is coming from our client.  At
> least
> > with the JSP model we could count of the view filtering data if needed,
> now
> > we have to do it in the web services directly.
> >

> To reply to myself here....moving to a web service model, what
> authentication approach were you planning on using? Since we'll be
> deprecating the form based authentication, will we just move to basic
> authentication?

I am not sure deprecating the login form makes a ton of sense from the OOTB
portal.  I think it should be easily replaceable; but, it is nice to have
the user management/login from the OOTB perspective.  I would imagine that
the User login /management section of rave is configured as the URL that
the users are directed to login at.

> > Chris

> >> all.

> >> the