rave-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Rave & Angular strategy
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2013 21:57:36 GMT
On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Matt Franklin <m.ben.franklin@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Chris Geer <chris@cxtsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Chris Geer <chris@cxtsoftware.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Erin Noe-Payne <
> erin.noe.payne@gmail.com

> m.ben.franklin@gmail.com

> > branch
> > more
> > out
> > try
What's

> > that
> modifiable

> very
> groups
> friends.

> out
> > you

> > > Erin, yes, from the UI perspective that is a pretty good viewpoint.
> From
> > > the server perspective though there is some more thought that is
> needed.
> > > For example, should every user on system be able to get all the
> > attributes
> > > about every person? Should a friend be able to see more details than
> > > another random person? The server needs to be able to have a model
> where
> > > decisions can be made on more than just is this person a normal user or
> > an
> > > admin. The UI also needs to be able to handle that as well. For
> example,
> > is
> > > you aren't frieds with someone certain fields may come back as null.
> Not
> > > huge deal but a consideration.
> > >
> > > The reason security is so important on the server side is once you move
> > > the UI to the client side you can no longer trust the client side
> because
> > > there is no guarantee that the request is coming from our client.  At
> > least
> > > with the JSP model we could count of the view filtering data if needed,
> > now
> > > we have to do it in the web services directly.
> > >

> > To reply to myself here....moving to a web service model, what
> > authentication approach were you planning on using? Since we'll be
> > deprecating the form based authentication, will we just move to basic
> > authentication?
> >

> I am not sure deprecating the login form makes a ton of sense from the OOTB
> portal.  I think it should be easily replaceable; but, it is nice to have
> the user management/login from the OOTB perspective.  I would imagine that
> the User login /management section of rave is configured as the URL that
> the users are directed to login at.

There will still need to be a login form, just housed in angular I would
assume. Which means there needs to be a way to authenticate users that
angular can call as a web service that doesn't require posting a form. In
addition to that, there needs to be a way to call the web services without
using the UI at all which means OOTB there should be a non-form way of
authenticating users.

> > > Chris

> and

> inside