rave-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Inter-Widget communication. Is this possible?
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2013 09:03:45 GMT
On 1 Jul 2013, at 08:18, Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Thank you a lot for your directions. I will take a look. It looks quite interesting since
W3C wookie widgets are loaded in a IFrame that cannot access the main page.

> So a widget that's loaded by Rave will not be able to access anything inside that main
page. I'm curious about how Rave circumvents this.

I believe the current version uses "fragment identifier messaging" (FIM) as a lowest-common-denominator
x-frame signalling method, although there are some other transport mechanisms (Flash components,
HTML5 messaging etc). Basically it mutates location.href to put the message metadata into
a URL fragment.

More here:

http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/OpenAjax_Hub_2.0_Specification

Sadly FIM also messes up other technologies that use fragment identifiers, such as JQuery
Mobile:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAVE-772