rave-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Project Next Steps
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2014 15:11:51 GMT
On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Matt Franklin <m.ben.franklin@gmail.com>wrote:

> Many of us met at ApacheCon NA to discuss the project and what needs to be
> done to move it forward.  From this discussion, it was clear that the major
> thing we need to work toward is growing the community.  The purpose of this
> thread is to discuss what we can do from both a technical and non-technical
> standpoint to attract new members.
>
> The first barrier to entry that was discussed is the complexity of getting
> started with the project.  To combat this issue, the following technical
> actions were proposed:
>
> 1) Complete the API refactor.  Moving all operations to the new CXF REST
> APIs will allow for simpler integrations and customization from the client
> side without having to overlay or add Java code to Rave.

I am working on this slowly but could use some help. There is actually a
decent amount of work done but there are no tests verifying any of it. I'm
putting that framework in place now but once it's in place it would be good
to have some folks build tests.

> 2) Complete the Angular front end.  The JSPs are convoluted and difficult
> to customize.  Having a simple to modify UI framework greatly decreases the
> barrier of entry.

Can anyone provide a status of where this is at? Does it use the new API
layer at all yet? With this I also think we should discuss security because
the current form based login JSP probably isn't the right approach long
term. Maybe we create a login service that returns a token and then the
Angular UI uses that token for all communication?

> 3) Create a new Angular widget provider that simply does angular includes
> of content inline in the page.  This allows users to get started without
> having to understand OpenSocial or W3C widgets.

+1

> From a non-technical standpoint the following was discussed:
>
> 1) Outreach to other projects.  Many projects are developing their own
> modular UIs.  We should help them use Rave once we have completed lowering
> the technical barrier.
>
> 2) Website/Documentation.  We need to rebrand and clarify what Rave is all
> about.

This is a larger discussion and probably deserves it's own email chain.