rave-dev mailing list archives

From Jmeas Apache <jmeas.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Using Vagrant/Grunt for the development environment
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2014 20:04:23 GMT
Apache Rave is a non-trivial application to get up and running on a new
machine. Carl and I are thinking things could be greatly simplified with
tools like Vagrant, Ansible and Grunt, so we'd like to hear the thoughts of
the Rave community on adding these tools.

Our thoughts now are placing all of the Java & Java-related dependencies to
the Vagrant box. This will allow anyone to get the Java environment by
simply running `vagrant up`, instead of figuring out all of the
dependencies on their local machine.

A PR that introduces Vagrant (with Ansible for provisioning) can be seen
over here:

https://github.com/apache/rave/pull/2

and on Jira at:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAVE-1099

For development, we're thinking a typical Grunt workflow could be
incorporated to make things really nice. The Tomcat server could be booted
up with a Grunt command, files could be linted and built,
unit/integration/functional/whatever tests we want to add can be done
automatically, and to top it off it can all be performed as you work with
watch.

We're working on an initial Grunt PR now, and should have it ready soon. At
first it will just do simple things, and can be iterated upon later.

What do y'all think?