rave-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Franklin <m.ben.frank...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Vagrant/Grunt for the development environment
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 12:56:38 GMT
On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Jmeas Apache <jmeas.apache@gmail.com> wrote:

> Apache Rave is a non-trivial application to get up and running on a new
> machine. Carl and I are thinking things could be greatly simplified with
> tools like Vagrant, Ansible and Grunt, so we'd like to hear the thoughts of
> the Rave community on adding these tools.
>
> Our thoughts now are placing all of the Java & Java-related dependencies to
> the Vagrant box. This will allow anyone to get the Java environment by
> simply running `vagrant up`, instead of figuring out all of the
> dependencies on their local machine.

We have had conversations around putting vagrant out there for people to
get started.  I think it is great that you took the initiative.  The only
question is where should it live in the code tree.

> A PR that introduces Vagrant (with Ansible for provisioning) can be seen
> over here:
>
> https://github.com/apache/rave/pull/2
>
> and on Jira at:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAVE-1099
>
> For development, we're thinking a typical Grunt workflow could be
> incorporated to make things really nice. The Tomcat server could be booted
> up with a Grunt command, files could be linted and built,
> unit/integration/functional/whatever tests we want to add can be done
> automatically, and to top it off it can all be performed as you work with
> watch.

We currently rely on Maven to accomplish these tasks for us.  I assume
there is more to the desire to use Grunt.  Are you intending on continuing
the effort to pull the front-end code into its own, separate module?