rave-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Using Vagrant/Grunt for the development environment
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2014 20:26:25 GMT
I was able to get it all running, not working correctly, but running. The
missing piece for me at least was having git installed on the VM, otherwise
it wasn't seeing the correct branch.

I think the issue you were seeing was that you weren't building the
software inside the VM. The way cargo works is it looking in the maven repo
for the files to deploy. So since you didn't build inside the VM it wasn't
able to find the WAR files to deploy. Two solutions to this, build inside
the VM or mount your local maven repo into the VM.

The last missing pieces is the configuration. Since you are no longer
accessing it from localhost you need to go into the config and change the
rave settings to point to the Shindig address at the VM ip. The downside of
that is it prevents you from running locally with cargo:run.

To me I think the value of Vagrant in this case is to have it running
inside a more "production" like environment with Tomcat and mysql/mongo for
example. Cargo would be kept locally in my mind. To that end, the key would
probably be to point Tomcat to the two deployed war files and setup the
configuration properly, that would add a lot of value and since Tomcat
would redeploy when the files change it would keep up to date. That makes
it so you don't have to have all the maven stuff inside the VM. You could
then add some serious scripting to the vagrant provisioning to allow you to
force a "restart" which would clear the DB and everything and reboot
getting all new data. Just my 2-cents but I think that has potential.

Chris

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Jmeas Apache <jmeas.apache@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gotcha. My thinking now is to use Grunt to start the dev environment,
> including starting the webserver, so the cargo:run command wasn't set up to
> be handled by Vagrant. Maybe this separation of concerns needs a bit of
> tweaking.
>
> For now, you can manually start it by ssh'ing onto the box and executing
> the command in the README from the project directory.
>
> Matt Franklin/Chris Geer, if either of you would have time early this week
> (Mon/Tues?) to chat over IRC or Google Hangouts that'd be really useful for
> us, I think. Once we have the Angular branch up and running, we should be
> able to iterate quickly on it. But right now we're having trouble getting
> there without help, and the dev emails are a slow process for this blocking
> issue. With luck there's something simple that we're missing!
>
> Would either of you be available early next week?
>
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 1:28 AM, Chris Geer <chris@cxtsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, haven't made it that far yet. Given the VM has Tomcat I was
> expecting
> > it to include the full setup. I will have to play with it more to
> > understand exactly what it includes.
> >

> > On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Jmeas Apache <jmeas.apache@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Cool. Did the cargo:run command throw any errors, or did that also work
> > for
> > > you?

> jmeas.apache@gmail.com

> enable