rave-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Franklin <m.ben.frank...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Angular Branch JS progress
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2014 13:34:40 GMT
On Wed Nov 05 2014 at 6:52:59 PM Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado <
gaguilar@aguilardelgado.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I come from time to time to see progress and I see a lot of progress
> goes to angular branch. While it looks great for me does not work since
> doesn't render widgets. But I suppose is WIP. Right?

It is still WIP; but, personally I hope to carve out some time for myself
to tackle the widget rendering by the end of the year.  I am not sure what
others have planned.

> I would know about all other stuff. Is there any progress report elsewhere?

Right now, the Jira tickets are the best report.

> We tried to make jump from jetspeed because was not progressing, but we
> need to see where it's now the project:
>
>  1. (2) What's the status of apache wookie support? wookie seems
>     stalled, at least in issue resolution. is that right? Does rave
>     still support it? Is there any major problem with the wookie support?

Wookie should still be working fine in trunk.  The Wookie committers that
cross-commit to Rave seem to keep that functionality working well.

>  2. (7) Skins. I suppose that Angular tries to fix this, right? Will you
>     remove tag based interface?

The goal is to completely move the UI to JavaScript/HTML + Rave REST web
services. This will allow for much more efficient skins and designs to
emerge on the front-end.

>  3. (11) Last time I tried inter-gadget messaging, it required an ajax
>     api (I think it was OpenAjax <http://www.openajax.org/> Hub) without
>     it cannot work. Right? This was the main problem we found with
>     portals so it's important for us.

OpenAJAX Hub is a bad name.  It only requires client-side resources and
makes no server calls to support the message bus.

>  4. (9) Where is wave?

There was some recent discussion on the Wave list, but I am not sure of the
current status.  Maybe someone else has a better picture.

> It would be great if there are advances on it.
>
> I was working in an apache wicket frontend as I said some time ago and
> was mostly working but it broke with 0.24-SNAPSHOT changes. I think
> there are too many features on the go and thinking about cloning the
> project. So I can go with the important parts for us, interface W3C
> widget, integration, stability and ease of use. I think rave is not
> lightweight anymore.

I agree and a lot of the discussions I have seen seem to be driving to the
consensus that we need to simplify things to get back to the "lightweight"
model.  The Angular work is part of that move.