reef-user mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: Drop support for VS2013 in REEF.NET
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2016 00:11:35 GMT
+1 on the general idea of moving to more modern versions of Visual
Studio and .NET as a requirement.  However:

there were some hesitations about moving to .NET 4.6 as a runtime
requirement when we discussed this as a step towards a .NET Core
version of REEF.NET. Boris was one of the people who had concerns. Do
they still exist?

I believe moving to Visual Studio 2015 does not also require us to
move to .NET 4.6 as the required runtime environment. Hence, that
change might be a bit easier and could be done first.

Markus

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Mariia Mykhailova
<mamykhai@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've added support for building REEF.NET in VS2015 half a year ago. Originally  we intended
for it to replace VS2013, but since we've found a way to support building REEF in both VS2013
and VS2015 we allowed the two to coexist peacefully.

> I feel that support for both VS2015 and VS2013 is inconvenient in the long term. We can't
benefit from new features in C# 6 and .NET 4.6 as long as we must provide compatibility with
old runtime.

> Let's discuss whether it's possible to drop support for VS2013 and what work is required.
>
> -          We need to make sure all clusters which run REEF-based jobs have .NET 4.6
framework installed.

> -          Our build tools need to be updated to support C# 6. For example, StyleCop
treats some C# 6 features as violations even when building with VS2015.

> We should also create an AppVeyor flavor that would run CI using VS2013 to ensure this
compatibility while we need it. Right now our CI doesn't detect build failures in VS2013.