royale-dev mailing list archives

From "Idylog - Nicolas Granon" <ngra...@idylog.com>
Subject [Royale] Localization and I8N
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2017 10:22:16 GMT
Ok for the dev royale list.

Thank for your work and information about Validators.
I will definitely have a (deep) look at it.
As you say, it is a good example of the kind of class to which we might contribute to, and
it will be quite instructive to study.
Furthermore, we have an AsyncValidator class that we developed and that allows validations
against a database (or any async function) and that we use heavily for each form input. We
could suggest enhancements in that direction.

Regarding ResourceManager, it is very important to us (and, I believe, for all developers
who target international customers).
We make use of ResourceManager in two principal ways :

- Switching app language at runtime (usually after login screen and before the first "real"
app screen, but it can happen at any time). "app language" meaning not only ui texts but also
formatting rules for numbers and dates
- Assign a locale to a document (all amounts, date, texts of the document will follow the
assigned locale on a per-document basis). Document locale if not always the same than app
locale.

There is also some use of ResourceBundle.

Our customers generally have offices in several countries : it implies that the locale depends
on each user's profile. The user's locale is not necessarily the locale of the browser.

So, to answer your questions :

We prefer being able to switch locale at run time (the login screen default locale might be
different from the user preferred locale, plus, the user is allowed to switch his locale at
any point).

We need to be able to instantiate validators/formatters based on an arbitrary locale (possibly
different from the app UI locale).

We also have a custom library which makes use or ResourceManager to perform "two level indirection"
(that is, we create a resource containing customer-specific strings and then we use these
string to perform parametrized getString() calls from another resource. The custom resource
is built at run-time).
(When I say "ResourceManager" it also implies "IResourceManager" !).

We use only western languages locales (FR, EN, DE, IT, ES)

Best regards

Nicolas Granon