royale-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Possible license issue with new web site
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2017 18:40:20 GMT
My $0.02:

Let’s see what you have and then we can discuss what is and isn’t a problem.

It’s clearly not an issue for Apache to use commercial software (i.e. JIRA etc.) Are you
using a commercial theme for your design? If yes, who paid for it and who is it licensed to?
Will we need to commit it to a public repo? (that presumably would be a problem) There’s
lots of questions that could be asked, but there’s no reason to deal in the theoretical.

I think you should concentrate on keeping the creative juices flowing.

First let’s play show and tell, and then we can worry about technical issues if there are
any. I’d love to see what you’ve been working on! :-)

Harbs

> On Oct 2, 2017, at 9:32 PM, Carlos Rovira <carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> hope someone could let me know if I can contact someone at Apache to see
> the issue raised by Justin. In order to not do any useless work. Should I
> write about this to "trademarks" or maybe to "board"? or should this be
> commented better by Harbs or Alex?
>
> Now that migration to royale is almost over I was thinking in start working
> this week on the web site, but maybe better to know if we don't have
> anything that we know would be a wall.
>
> Thanks

>> Hi Justin,
>>
>> good questions. I think take a comercial product to build a site for
>> marketing purposes is different to take some code to be incorporated to our
>> project codebase, or make it work with that code. In this case, is only a
>> "face" of our real project and we are not planning to change it, or resell
>> it or something like that.
>>
>> In the other hand, if we need to commit this comercial theme (the code) to
>> some asf repo, I think that would be a problem.
>>
>> I think we should think about this as if we use some MS Azure Server, or
>> whatever other software, we should only use for public face, and we don't
>> should be pushing to a repo server since nobody must touch that website
>> code since is not the code we want people to use and we want to promote. Is
>> code we use to promote our code...
>>
>> Carlos

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I looked at the placeholder for the new site. [1] My understanding is
>>> that it’s intended to be moved to Word Press or be hosted at a VM at the
>>> ASF.
>>>
>>> The  theme that is being used is under a commercial license [2] do we
>>> know if infra/the ASF would be OK in hosting that / having the main site of
>>> an ASF project use something under a commercial license?
>>>
>>> Also the theme license is likely to be incompatible with ALv2 as it
>>> contains GPLv3 licensed code which is  “Category X” software [3]. This
>>> software is also only GPL license for non commercial software. [4]
>>>
>>> Is there another them we could use that is open source license, not under
>>> a commercial license and that does not include GPL licensed software?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Justin
>>>
>>> 1. http://royale.codeoscopic.com/coming-soon/
>>> 2. https://themeforest.net/item/blade-responsive-multifunctiona