royale-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Rovira <carlosrov...@apache.org>
Subject [Discussion] About validation
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2017 09:38:50 GMT
Hi,

I notice Harbs was including one of the missing parts in Royale: Validation.

So great, since that is something very needed to get 1.0 state.

I'd want to understand about the implementation. I suppose is based on the
Flex Validator implementation to use it in MXML. Is that right? When it's
finished it would be something similar to what we had in old Flex SDK?

I want as well to expose some thoughts as I started to saw it:

1.- I see the code is inside "Core" project (inside utils folder) and not
in a new "Validation" project. Is this something temporal? I was expecting
this to be as others projects (i.e: Formatters) and be a PAYG piece. (don't
know if this was already discussed)

2.- Since Royale is strongly PAYG based my expectations in the future would
be to have the old Flex sdk implementation and another completly different
that IMHO had a more modern and better approach, and was what I end using.
I'm talking about GDS Validation framework:

https://github.com/graniteds/graniteds/tree/master/granite-client-flex-advanced/src/main/flex/org/granite/validation

This GDS implementation used annotations (that in our case could be beads
although I like annotations in AS3 Value Objects and I think we should not
lose that since is very powerful)

The main way of thinking here was to separate validation from the UI
control used and be able to make validations in controller's method , for
example before sending some Value Object to the server.

Resuming: For me old Flex SDK validators are need for migration. New people
would want new modern options, and I think this would be along other things
what make a difference between Royale and competitors.

Hope we could discuss this since I thing it's an important subject.

Thanks.

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira