samoa-dev mailing list archives

From Albert Bifet <abi...@apache.org>
Subject New Instances
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2015 03:26:46 GMT
Hi all,

This is a short explanation of the new instances of SAMOA.

https://github.com/abifet/moa/tree/master/moa/src/main/java/com/yahoo/labs/samoa/instances

Instances will be much simpler than the current implementation. They
can be dense or sparse, and they contain only one array (or two for
sparse) with all the attribute values. In the current implementation
we have two arrays, one for input values and another for output values

The main changes are two:

1/ All instances are going to be multi-label, that means they have
input and output attributes, and we can call their values with
getInputValue(i) and getOutputValue(i).

2/ Attributes are numeric by default, so we only keep information of
discrete attributes (values). For example if we have one million
numeric attributes, we will not need to store attribute information of
these one million numeric attributes.

Basically, we have:

- Instance: interface
- MultiLabelInstance: interface (empty interface that extends Instance)
- InstanceImpl extends MultiLabelInstance: implementation of Instance.
Contains
    - InstanceData
    - InstancesHeader
- DenseInstance extends InstanceImpl
- SparseInstance extends InstanceImpl

-Instances: a list of instances and an InstanceInformation object
-InstancesHeader extends Instances

-InstanceData: interface
-DenseInstanceData implements InstanceData
-SparseInstanceData implements InstanceData

- InstanceInformation contains name, attribute information and
attributes to predict.
- AttributesInformation contains two list of Attributes (indices and
values) for non-numerical attributes. Numerical attributes are by
default
- Range: attributes to predict

Cheers,

Albert