samoa-dev mailing list archives

From Gianmarco De Francisci Morales <g...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Dev git setup
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:54:08 GMT
Hi,

I want to share the git setup I am using to develop for SAMOA.
I think this is a good setup but maybe you guys have better ideas.

I have 2 remotes, one of the my fork on github (origin) and one of the
apache git repo (apache).
This is similar to the upstream/origin setup in typical github forks.
However, afaik there will be no automatic merging of pull requests so we
need to push them manually.

~/workspace/samoa-incubator ±[master✓] → git remote -v
origin git@github.com:gdfm/incubator-samoa.git (fetch)
origin git@github.com:gdfm/incubator-samoa.git (push)
apache https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-samoa.git (fetch)
apache https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-samoa.git (push)

Then I have 2 branches (3 if you consider the website), one for each remote.

~/workspace/samoa-incubator ±[master✓] → git br -v
  apache   787864b Initial import. Migrating code from
https://github.com/yahoo/samoa/
  gh-pages 061dd9e Initial import of the website
* master   787864b Initial import. Migrating code from
https://github.com/yahoo/samoa/

The master will simply track changes in the mirror.
On the master branch I executed
'git config branch.master.rebase true'
so that when I do 'git pull' it will rebase rather than merge (and avoid
dirtying the history with merge commits).

For each Jira I want to work on, I will fork a branch off master, and then
issue a pull request on github when done.
Once I get a +1 on the branch, I can simply merge it on the apache branch
and push it to the apache git repo. [not entirely sure about this part, but
I think it should work]
I guess the same can be done for pull requests made by other contributors:
just create a branch, fetch the pull request, and merge it on the apache
branch before pushing.

Please let me know if you have any comment.

Cheers,
--
Gianmarco