samoa-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Contributing patches
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2015 14:08:15 GMT
Hi,

I'd prefer to use github's pull request features:

asf infra and github are now tightly integrated (see:
https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/improved_integration_between_apache_and
).

This means it is possible to use github's features to submit pull
requests, which can be reviewed on github, voted upon, then merged
into the asf git repo. As far as I understand, for the integration to
happen on a particular issue, one just needs to first create a Jira
ticket and reference it from the github PR.

Jira remains the central place for handling tickets. The asf git repo
remains the source of truth for the codebase.

It's alway possible to accept git diffs (properly generated), but in
my view, accepting PRs through Github looks like the most convenient
way to handle contributions. Apache Storm and Apache Helix for
instance already take advantage of this integration.

Once a PR is accepted, apparently a committer must manually push the
patch to the asf repo , though maybe this can be automated.

Matthieu