samoa-dev mailing list archives

From Austin Bennett <whatwouldausti...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Samoa and Beam
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2018 21:09:40 GMT
Hi Gianmarco,

I've only been speaking with a very small subset of Beam community, so do
not purport to represent overall.  There is a strong interest in ML by many
and certainly by me.  No specific 'project' at the moment -- just
enthusiasm from bits of ideas from varied exposures that tell me that the
two ideas/communities could do well together.

I am a user of Beam (as far as developing it, have only contributed a small
bug fix up through now) though ML is an area I'd like to see more of
(though, my runners/DPSE are largely Spark and DataFlow on GCP which aren't
covered by Samoa) and it seems Beam helps address compute, so working with
it frees to focus on the development of Streaming/ML algs.  It actually
isn't 100% clear to me - at this point - how this will all work, so I have
plenty of HW to do.

Given what I'm hearing, the best course of action seems to be for me to
just start hacking around on something that can leverage Beam and address
ML Algs.  It doesn't sound like that is an issue from the perspective of
animosity for stepping on your territory, or something like that.  Should
that gain a bit of traction, I will then look forward to figuring out
whether that might serve to bring the Beam and Samoa communities together
(also, in the meantime would let me get more up to speed with both, and
help me appreciate how difficult these problems really are).  I do have
some dev cycles to devote to this at the moment, so will aim to explore
further and see what can be built.  Will certainly be in touch with
updates!

Cheers,
Austin