samza-dev mailing list archives

From Tommy Becker <tobec...@tivo.com>
Subject Dealing with partitioning mismatches between bootstrap and input streams
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2015 17:16:18 GMT
We have a Kafka topic containing data needed by several Samza jobs. These jobs will essentially
read the data and build up state that will be used for processing their inputs. Ideally, we
would use the topic as a bootstrap stream to build up this state. The problem with that is
the topic containing the data has a single partition but the topics these jobs are processing
as input have multiple partitions. So my understanding is that only one task instance in the
job would actually process the bootstrap stream, and therefore any state it built up would
be local to that task. So I'm thinking my options are the following:

1) Implement SAMZA-353 and allow the bootstrap SSP to be assigned to each task instance
2) Implement the shared state store component of SAMZA-402
3) Layer the shared state on top of Samza in our tasks themselves, maybe by using something
like RocksDB directly.

Number 1 seems easiest to implement at the cost of having the entire state duplicated for
each task.  I'd prefer not to do number 3 given the existence of this feature on Samza's roadmap,
but I am a bit concerned about the scope of work with number 2, and the fact that this is
mostly Scala code.

Are there any alternatives that I'm missing?  Note that we need to process the data stream
as a bootstrap stream.  Using it as a changelog is insufficient because we need to be able
to manipulate the data before building up the state store.

--
Tommy Becker
Senior Software Engineer

Digitalsmiths
A TiVo Company

www.digitalsmiths.com<http://www.digitalsmiths.com>
tobecker@tivo.com<mailto:tobecker@tivo.com>

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any
attachments) by others is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender immediately and permanently delete this email and any attachments. No employee
or agent of TiVo Inc. is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of TiVo Inc.
by email. Binding agreements with TiVo Inc. may only be made by a signed written agreement.