samza-dev mailing list archives

From Chinmay Soman <chinmay.cere...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on zero downtime deployment of Samza jobs
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2016 18:02:53 GMT
FYI: As part of an Uber internship project, we were working on exactly this
problem. Our approach was to do a rolling restart of all the containers
wherein we start a "replica" container for each primary container and let
it "catch up" before we do the switch. Of course this doesn't guarantee
zero downtime, but it does guarantee minimum time to upgrade each such
container.

The code is still in POC, but we do plan to finish this and make this
available. Let me know if you're interested in trying it out.

FYI: the sticky container deployment will also minimize the time to upgrade
/ deploy since majority of the upgrade time is taken up by the container in
reading all the changelog (if any). Upgrade / re-deploy will also take a
long time if the checkpoint topic is not log compacted (which is true in
our environment).

Thanks,

--
Thanks and regards