samza-dev mailing list archives

From Navina Ramesh <nram...@linkedin.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Samza not consuming
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2016 21:31:43 GMT
HI David,
This configuration you have tweaked
(systems.kafka.consumer.auto.offset.reset) is honored only when one of the
following condition holds:
* topic doesn't exist
* checkpoint is older than the maximum message history retained by the
brokers

So, my questions are :
Are you using checkpointing? If you do, you can read the checkpoint topic
to see the offset that is being used to fetch data.

If you are not using checkpoints, then samza uses
systems.kafka.samza.offset.default to decide whether to start reading from
the earliest (oldest data) or upcoming (newest data) offset in the stream.

This could explain from where your job is trying to consume and you can
cross-check with the broker.
For the purpose of debugging, you can print a debug line in process()
method to print the offset of the message you are processing
(message.getOffset). Please remember to remove the debug line after
troubleshooting. Else you risk filling up your logs.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks!
Navina

--