samza-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Davis <...@recursivedream.com>
Subject Re: Question about custom StreamJob/Factory
Date Sun, 28 Jan 2018 20:17:27 GMT
As promised, here's the link to the repository:

https://github.com/sonian/samza-kubernetes

The section "Your Job Image" covers my remaining questions on the
low-level API. We use Clojure on the backend, so I'm using that to
sanity-check the example high-level app and will update the example if
it turns out I made any goofs!

After looking at more code, I believe I better understand how the
high-level API functions: it basically makes StreamTask-equivalent
objects for every operator (map, etc.) which eventually get run by a JCL
(via Container) created by StreamProcessor which execute them in a
single-thread pool. There doesn't seem to be an `AsyncStreamTask`
equivalent for these operators, though. Although
`LocalApplicationRunner#createStreamProcessor` has the ability to handle
`AsyncTaskFactory`, `TaskFactoryUtil#createTaskFactory` only returns
`StreamTaskFactory` when passed a `StreamApplication`. The crux being: I
don't see a great story for operators that need to, e.g., make database
calls for each message or perform another blocking operation.

Any clarification on these two topics would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom