samza-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremiah Adams <JAd...@helixeducation.com>
Subject Re: Java 11, Oracle Java and OpenJDK Release Cadence
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2018 13:16:29 GMT
Has anyone had a chance to digest this information regarding Java11 and OpenJDK release cadences?

What would be next steps to drive adoption of the OpenJDK release cadence (never participated
in an apache proj) ?

Jeremiah Adams
Software Engineer
www.helixeducation.com
Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

From: Jeremiah Adams <JAdams@helixeducation.com>
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2018 11:06 AM
To: dev@samza.apache.org
Subject: [POSSIBLE PHISHING] Java 11, Oracle Java and OpenJDK Release Cadence

Java 11 is out on Sept., 25 and  makes Java 8, 9 and 10 obsolete. Java 8, 9, and 10 will no
longer receive security patches/updates beginning in January 2019. Organizations have the
option to pay Oracle for patches in order to stay on Java 8.

Oracle is changing its release cycle and licensing for Java SE (which is no more as off 11).
 Java SE is rebranded to Oracle java and is an LTS release requiring paid licenses per processor
running java 11. Fee is $25 per processor. LTS means fewer upgrades, but does receive security
patches.

Oracle will continue to contribute to OpenJDK. However, the OpenJDK releases will come every
six month and are called "Major" releases. Each release making the previous obsolete with
zero security patches/updates applied to previous versions.

All of this sounds really bad, however, the "major" versions that will come from OpenJDK are
more akin to going from 8->8u20->8u40 than from Java 7 to Java 8. So the biggest hurdle
is simply aligning project releases with OpenJDK release cadences. This implies building to
release candidates prior to bi-annual JDK release testing and releasing.

If your organization doesn't want  to pay for Oracle Java your org will have to upgrade Java
versions every six months. While we can easily manage our own code base, dependencies such
as Samza are key to our business and difficult to control.

Below are links related to this topic I found while doing research. If anyone can comes to
different conclusions please share.

I do have testing Samza on Java 11 in our backlog. I will likely get to this in our next sprint.

https://url.emailprotection.link/?aDBOFTaWEGiT3_M2IXWtc0j72Y6avuFmu2X6u4DJ7_0T0iyIyEgUzpjF6rBt6TIRXQYWMVthA64THcUqnV5hU4pdymWzPI3L7YERnixT8rA0Z47pxu1bzSDsgrMz1NV_3Vot8xbB3KHWgTLasBS28Q-jGlnSLrqiejfG7jh4QqnM~

https://url.emailprotection.link/?aDBOFTaWEGiT3_M2IXWtc0iUPRrQ-bzd6r2p9Tl0XlSSjWk5HhL3ovTAmykUMgR335x1B7NfLOg2mRZ57SZL8myVQFm7vuSasrJeInSoMHQhxVlsLEByQvcRHQeUlQ62SN10DqoTiP2i8DFABfafYVoKzcQTBNShsG0REu93t4bc~

https://url.emailprotection.link/?aDBOFTaWEGiT3_M2IXWtc0iUPRrQ-bzd6r2p9Tl0XlSQRBane7pfZXo2rexwPhq2Tc6Myhnk6sA4D9q3HyexrDA~~

https://url.emailprotection.link/?aYmBZB8QfgHNf5nRk8JdSbFwfj1IesvpEjPoIIvwuf87w2jQAvkc4puGYJormDdEi14FVjy8N25CbthNaebiIOtp3xkOYhKLMQxXuGid9--_CobmijsPowQCHRj2Islp2

https://url.emailprotection.link/?aYmBZB8QfgHNf5nRk8JdSbFwfj1IesvpEjPoIIvwuf85pQA-DVbxCqa-9rZSuX7kxznRvqZ9cKxtgd62zs8ibZEjABbem_1VoLatid2rg78wShF8Qu_KEHqGdvReur2ID

https://url.emailprotection.link/?aDBOFTaWEGiT3_M2IXWtc0iUPRrQ-bzd6r2p9Tl0XlSSjWk5HhL3ovTAmykUMgR334EDnAQb9JPs_AJil5RU_3pqotWsSlzYVzdulacvboup4NSrSH7V166uVVPvPBg0z