samza-dev mailing list archives

From Xinyu Liu <xinyuliu...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Hygene for merging PRs
Date Thu, 16 May 2019 18:29:57 GMT
Hi, all,

I've seen different practices around how PRs are contributed, reviewed and
merged for Samza open source. I think it's time to bring up our committer
guide again to make sure we follow exactly the guidelines. It's also an
opportunity to talk about future improvement to the flow.

*PR Contribution*
According to our committer guide [1], a JIRA must be created before
creating the PR, unless the PR is trivial typo or doc fixes. The PR needs
to have the JIRA ticket name in the following format:

    *SAMZA-<JiraNumber> : <JiraTitle>*

As an example:
SAMZA-2168: Remove redundant SystemAdmin creation in ApplicationMaster [2].

*PR Review*
As discussed before, a Samza PR requires an approval from a committer
before merging. Contributors are welcome to review the code, but a final
"LGTM" from a committer is a MUST.

*PR merge*
As we now use the simple merge flow in github to merge a PR, I think we
should mostly squash the commits for merging.Otherwise it's hard to roll
back changes and it generally generates a lot of noise in the commit
history.

Any further suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Xinyu

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SAMZA/Contributor%27s+Corner
[2] https://github.com/apache/samza/pull/1001