serf-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Warnings on trunk
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2016 06:53:09 GMT
Some warnings on trunk have been getting on my nerves and I finally got
to the point of starting to fix them. A couple are not entirely clear-cut:

1.

buckets/hpack_buckets.c:1872:27: warning: comparison of constant 18446744073709551615 with
      expression of type 'apr_uint32_t' (aka 'unsigned int') is always false [-Wtautological-constant-out-of-range-compare]
                    if (v >= APR_SIZE_MAX)
                        ~ ^  ~~~~~~~~~~~~

The relevant code is:

                {
                    apr_uint32_t v;

                    status = read_hpack_int(&v, NULL, bucket, 5);
                    if (status)
                        continue;

                      /* Send remote tablesize update to our table */
                    if (v >= APR_SIZE_MAX)
                        return SERF_ERROR_HTTP2_COMPRESSION_ERROR;
                    status = hpack_table_size_update(ctx->tbl, (apr_size_t)v);
                    if (status)
                        return status;

                    ctx->state = HPACK_DECODE_STATE_INITIAL;
                    break;
                }

As far as I can see, not only is the condition never true, but
read_hpack_int() already checks for overflow and returns the same status
code if it detects it. I'd suggest just removing this check, but maybe
I'm missing something.

2.

buckets/fcgi_buckets.c:746:48: warning: format specifies type 'unsigned int' but the argument
      has type 'apr_size_t' (aka 'unsigned long') [-Wformat]
              ctx->frame_type, ctx->stream_id, payload);
                                               ^~~~~~~

The relevant code is:

    serf__log(LOGLVL_DEBUG, LOGCOMP_CONN, __FILE__, ctx->config,
              "Generating 0x%x frame on stream 0x%x of size 0x%x\n",
              ctx->frame_type, ctx->stream_id, payload);

I know APR doesn't provide a hex variant of APR_SIZE_T_FMT; on the other
hand, writing the /size/ of something to the log in hex is hardly
friendly to the poor lass who ends up having to read it. I propose
changing that size to decimal and using APR_SIZE_T_FMT. The alternative
is to use APR_UINT64_T_HEX_FMT and adding a cast.

-- Brane